Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Degree
College and university degree programs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) are considered STEM degrees, and they are in high demand across many industries.
Several years ago, educators and industry analysts detected a trend that indicated an academic deficiency in STEM areas for students entering college. The same findings were true for those entering the workforce to look for STEM-related job opportunities. Upon further analysis, the problem was seen as so severe that it merited legal support. Innovation in science and technology was considered the primary key to a thriving American economy. As a result, the America COMPETES Act of 2007 was adopted to support special educational and workforce development initiatives promoting STEM subjects. Here are some examples of the top STEM degrees, opportunities for scholarships and other pre-college preparation activities.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Types of High Demand STEM Degrees
When examining the list of STEM degree majors, students find that all STEM degree programs are not created equally. All of them are no doubt challenging, but some offer more career opportunities than others. Based on job prospects, computing and engineering degree programs are in greatest demand. Specifically, computer networking and system analysis are the degree programs with the highest job prospects. Software engineering was also cited as having the greatest job prospects. Projections indicate that those who major in computer science, management information systems, and software engineering have the most career opportunities available to them through 2018. Other majors, like those in mathematics, physics, natural sciences and life sciences are still in demand, but people in these majors often end up working as academic researchers. While talented, these scientists and mathematicians face great competition for research jobs that are not in as great a supply as careers in the technology sector.
- Top 25 Ranked Engineering Programs with the Best Return on Investment (ROI)
- Top 25 Ranked Computer Science Programs with the Best Return on Investment (ROI)
- Top 25 Ranked Bachelor of Physics Programs With the Best Return on Investment (ROI)
- 50 Best Value Small Colleges for a Biology Degree
Scholarship Opportunities For STEM Degree Majors
Because STEM careers are considered the backbone of the American economy, there are many private and public scholarships available to those who show academic promise. There are some scholarships for which all STEM degree program participants can apply, but most STEM scholarships have very specific requirements pertaining to degree subject and other differentiating characteristics. Here are some examples of STEM scholarships.
- Science, Mathematics & Research for Transformation
- Society of Women Engineers
- Science Education Scholarships
- American Society of Metals
- Best Value Schools offers our own STEM Scholarship for Women
Preparing Students For STEM Related College Majors
The activities that prepare students to enter university level STEM coursework begin early for successful candidates. Today’s high schools have curricula geared toward building skills in STEM. However, some serious students gain extra help from tutors as well as by participating in workshops during summer breaks. For example, University of Washington sponsors a high school summer program for those who are interested in health science professions.
- Top 15 Cheap Online Health Informatics Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 14 Cheap Online Health Studies and Health Education Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 19 Cheap Online Psychology Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 9 Cheap Online Healthcare Administration Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 9 Cheap Online Health Science Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 9 Cheap Online Social Science Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 7 Cheap Online Forensic Psychology Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 5 Cheap Online Forensic Science Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Master’s in Forensic Psychology Degree Programs
- 15 Best Value Colleges for a Chemistry Degree
- 15 Best Value Colleges for a Physics Degree
- Top 10 Cheap Master’s in Science Education Online Degree Programs
- Top 10 Cheap Online Database Management Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Computer Programming Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Game Design Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 8 Cheap Online Mobile Computing Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Software and Systems Engineering Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Internet Security Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Information Technology and Systems Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Information Systems Security Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 9 Cheap Online Graphic Design Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Web Design Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Network Administration Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 5 Cheap Online Aeronautics Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Master’s in Software Engineering Degree Programs
- Top 10 Cheap Online Math Education Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 9 Cheap Online Economics Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
- Top 10 Cheap Online Master’s in Economics Degree Programs
- Top 10 Cheap Master’s in Math Education Online Degree Programs
- Top 10 Cheap Master’s in Science Education Online Degree Programs
Most STEM-related careers are in great supply and are supported by numerous private and public educational initiatives. However, the promotional projects and initiatives have only resulted in moderate success. According to news reports, students are drawn to exciting and lucrative STEM careers at first, but they often find the college coursework too difficult to complete. Despite extensive high school preparation in STEM courses, these students often choose to switch to liberal arts majors and not persevere through arduous STEM-related university laboratory and coursework. However, those who are adequately prepared and complete STEM degree programs have numerous career opportunities available to them at home and abroad.
Related: A Woman’s Guide to STEM Careers
The transition from high school student to college student should be exciting. Going from life in a high school to living and learning on a college campus can mean more freedom, more responsibility, and more fun. That transition isn’t always easy for students with learning disabilities, though, as they may feel more anxious about this […]
Wondering what can you do with a master’s in psychology? A master’s degree in psychology typically prepares people to enter counseling professions and pass state licensure requirements. It also opens...
A child development degree trains students to support children and young learners as they grow. With a degree in child development, professionals can pursue careers as preschool directors, child life specialists, and kindergarten teachers. Earning a child development degree generally takes four years of full-time study. Learners typically study topics like infant and toddler development, […]
Discover a program that is right for you.
Explore different options for you based on your degree interests.