Five Scholarships for Women Studying Engineering
- American Association of University Women Scholarship
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarship Program
- National Society of Black Engineers Scholarship
- Girl Scouts USA Scholarship Program
- The Center for Women in Technology Scholarship
With every passing year, fewer women are enrolling in STEM degrees – particular in the field of engineering. The field and academic discipline of engineering has recognized what a significant loss of talent and skill this would be – and subsequently, more efforts than ever before are being made to recruit and maintain female engineers, especially at top companies.
To encourage women and girls to study engineering, an increasing number of universities and tech schools are offering female students of engineering scholarships and fellowships to support their degree studies. Here are five superb engineering scholarships for women.
See our ranking of the 30 Best Values for Aerospace Engineering.
- American Association of University Women ScholarshipThe American Association of University Women, or AAUA, offers scholarships to women entering fields in which women make up relatively small numbers – including computer science, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and other STEM fields. Each scholarship consists of $2000 per successful candidate, and are awarded in late summer to fund the upcoming academic year for female students enrolled in accredited bachelor’s or master’s degree programs in these fields.
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarship ProgramThe Society of Women Engineers offers a considerable number of scholarships each year to women enrolling in degree programs for engineering, computer science, and engineering technologies. Scholarship amounts range from $1000 all the way up to $20,000, and are awarded on the basis of multiple factors, including academic excellence.
- National Society of Black Engineers ScholarshipThe National Society of Black Engineers offers scholarships to black women who are entering or enrolled in degree studies in engineering and science. Applicants for these scholarships should display a history of academic excellence, strong leadership skills, and a commitment to bettering their communities and families by pursuing and excelling at their degree studies. Many scholarships are awarded each year and vary in amount according to a number of different factors, including academic excellence and financial need.
- Girl Scouts USA Scholarship ProgramThe Girl Scouts of the USA Scholarship Program offers a wide variety of scholarships to its participants, and a great many of them cater to girls interested in STEM fields. Girl Scouts or former Girl Scouts applying should display academic capability, a commitment to the community, and a goal-oriented approach to their degree studies and future career. Scholarship awards vary.
- The Center for Women in Technology ScholarshipThe Center for Women in Technology Scholarship Program is for women pursuing engineering degrees, among several other fields, at the University of Maryland at Baltimore. Many of the scholarships awarded cover full tuition and fees on the basis of academic excellence and financial need, though awards vary. Applications for this prestigious scholarship are due just after the first of the year.
Each of these engineering scholarships for women presents tremendous opportunities for women to excel in engineering – and, after graduation, to help solve the problems of both today and tomorrow.
If you’re pursuing a master’s degree in psychology, you may have been asked the following question: “What can you do with a master’s in psychology?” It may even be a...
Are you interested in helping others resolve their issues and hurdles through talk therapy? You may want to consider a career in the counseling field. Counseling is a field that’s...
Mental health counseling jobs exist across many settings — from hospitals and government agencies to schools and private practices, and they’re projected to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)...
Discover a program that is right for you.
Explore different options for you based on your degree interests.