Despite the fact that, across the United States, high school girls perform better than boys in math and science (2.76 GPA for girls vs. 2.56 GPA for boys), attracting and retaining girls in the STEM workforce continues to be an uphill battle.
Part of the struggle can be attributed to the long term salary prospects of women compared to men employed in STEM professions. As in many professions, the gender pay gap that exists in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields is significant: women in STEM careers are making 81% of what men earn in the same exact jobs.
Whatever the reason for the lack of female representation in math and science occupations, having women contributing to these all-important jobs is vital. Recognizing that the unique perspectives and life experiences women bring to the STEM field will aid in scientific innovation, improved product design and creative solution development, Best Value Schools seeks to provide at least one (1) $2,000 scholarship, twice per year, to a woman enrolled in a STEM degree program to not only help offset the future gender wage gap they are likely to experience, but to also encourage the development of these crucial technological skills that are necessary in our rapidly changing world.
Financing your higher education can be overwhelming. We at BVS want to make sure you get the best possible value out of your college degree by lowering your out-of-pocket monetary obligation, and therefore boosting the long-term return on your investment.
Best Value Schools Scholarship Applicants Must:
- Be a female currently attending or enrolled at an accredited post-secondary institution (under-graduate or graduate). High school students should only apply once they’ve been accepted and enrolled at a college or university.
- Be a U.S. Citizen as verified by a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or other methods seen here.
- Be majoring in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics program (STEM).
- Possess a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher and rank within the top 30% of their class. If you are already a college student, please submit college transcripts.
- Have achieved the following standardized test scores: Minimum SAT – Math – 600, Composition/Reading – 500; Minimum ACT – Math – 29, English – 25. (Note: It is not necessary to submit both SAT and ACT scores.)
- Print and complete the Scholarship application – BVS.
- Submit one (1) cover letter and resume; two (2) letters of recommendation; and one (1) 500 word personal essay about why you’ve chosen to major in science, technology, engineering or math.
The deadline for submitting a STEM Scholarship for Women scholarship application is October 31st or April 15th. The award winner will be selected within one month of the deadline and the scholarship recipient will be notified shortly thereafter.
Please note that for the next scholarship cycle, applications will only be accepted from October 15, 2017 – October 31, 2017. Only the first 50 completed applications received will be considered.
Criteria for Selecting Scholarship Recipients:
The BVS scholarship committee will review applications and make final selections based on academic achievement, participation in school and/or community activities, and how well the personal essay highlights the applicant’s career aspirations as a female in a STEM career.
Scholarship Notification Process:
Scholarship recipients will be emailed shortly after a decision has been made. A check made payable to the college or university selected by the scholarship recipient in the application process will be mailed directly to the school, unless other arrangements are agreed upon. Only award recipients will receive notification from Best Value Schools. Those not selected will not receive an email.
Contact/Application Submission Information:
Email application materials to stemscholarships@
Don’t miss our rankings of The 30 Most Affordable Women’s Colleges in the U.S. and the 50 Best Value Small Colleges for a Biology Degree.
Past STEM Scholarship for Women Award Winners