Despite the fact that, across the United States, high school girls perform better than boys in math and science (2.76 GPA for girls vs. 2.56 GPA for boys), attracting and retaining girls in the STEM workforce continues to be an uphill battle.
Part of the struggle can be attributed to the long term salary prospects of women compared to men employed in STEM professions. As in many professions, the gender pay gap that exists in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields is significant: women in STEM careers are making 81% of what men earn in the same exact jobs.
Whatever the reason for the lack of female representation in math and science occupations, having women contributing to these all-important jobs is vital. Recognizing that the unique perspectives and life experiences women bring to the STEM field will aid in scientific innovation, improved product design and creative solution development, Best Value Schools seeks to provide at least one (1) $2,000 scholarship to a woman enrolled in a STEM degree program to not only help offset the future gender wage gap they are likely to experience, but to also encourage the development of these crucial technological skills that are necessary in our rapidly changing world.
Financing your higher education can be overwhelming. We at BVS want to make sure you get the best possible value out of your college degree by lowering your out-of-pocket monetary obligation, and therefore boosting the long-term return on your investment.
Best Value Schools Scholarship Applicants Must:
- Be a female currently attending or accepted at an accredited post-secondary institution (under-graduate or graduate).
- Be a U.S. Citizen as verified by a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or other methods seen here.
- Be majoring full-time in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics program (STEM).
- Possess a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher and rank within the top 30% of their class.
- Have achieved the following standardized test scores: Minimum SAT – Math – 600, Composition/Reading – 500; Minimum ACT – Math – 29, English – 25.
- Print and complete the scholarship application form.
- Submit one (1) cover letter and resume; two (2) letters of recommendation; and one (1) 500 word personal essay about why you’ve chosen to major in science, technology, engineering or math.
The deadline for submitting a STEM Scholarship for Women scholarship application is April 15th. The award winner will be selected within one month of the deadline and the scholarship recipient will be notified shortly thereafter.
Criteria for Selecting Scholarship Recipients:
The BVS scholarship committee will review applications and make final selections based on academic achievement, participation in school and/or community activities, and how well the personal essay highlights the applicant’s career aspirations as a female in a STEM career. Depending on the number of finalists, an interview may be required via video conferencing.
Scholarship Notification Process:
Letters will be mailed to scholarship recipients during the first week of May, with a check made payable to the college or university selected by the scholarship recipient in the application process. It is the scholarship recipient’s responsibility to forward the check to the appropriate party at their college or university. Only award recipients will receive a letter from Best Value Schools. Those not selected will not receive a letter.
Contact/Application Submission Information:
Email application materials to stemscholarships@